Thursday, June 10, 2010

Hockey...C'est sur glace...Michael Jordan?

Hockey is an awfully difficult sport to explain to an African...I usually am forced to do a little motion with my hands like Im stickhandling, while sweeping the ground with my feet like Im skating.  The result is something a lot like a stage performer dancing with a cane, and nothing at all like the actual thing.  At the root of the problem, I suppose, is that outside of the rare ice cube, there is never any substantial amount of frozen water in Togo...and certainly no one can truly comprehend what it is to be on ice.    

Still, though, my excitement over the last couple weeks has been mounting along with the Blackhawk's slow ascension to the championship, and with it calls from home telling me the news of the latest game (thanks mom).  Being a good Peace Corps volunteer, and wishing to communicate my culture with those around me,  Ive really focused on spreading this good news to my small African community.  Sometimes I get blank stares, most of the time, though, I get remarks about Michael Jordan and the Bulls.  Thats alright, I guess, at least they got the city right!

Now all we need to cap off the week is a US win over England on Saturday (I'm a believer, people)!

I'm in Lome so Ill get another post up tomorrow before I leave, I just wanted to write a little something this evening while I had some time and the Hawks on my mind!

Take care!
J

ps-While Im on the sports topic, What is this I hear of Nebraska joining the Big Ten and half of the Big 12 joining the Pac 10?  I leave for 9 months and now were talking about Texas playing conference games in Corvallis?!  Pull it together USA.

pss-The Beavers would beat Texas in that game by the way...just saying.     

3 comments:

  1. How about those Blackhawks!!!! Wow....my family has been on cloud nine throughout the playoffs. Alex even asked his summer school Prof. for the day off on Friday so he can attend the parade in Chicago. Of course, he said NO and for Alex to focus on what's important. Must not be a hockey fan :-) Glad to hear you're keeping up to date with the latest. Pictures are great....keep posting. P.S. Rebecca leaves for a 21-day marine biology camp in the BVI. Trying to set her up with a blog of her own. We will keep you posted. Take care, Aunt Sandy and family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you are able to hear what is going on in sports while you are so far away. No matter where we live those Chicago teams stay with us. I couldn't believe how large the trophy was. Take care of yourself and keep those blogs coming. We all enjoy them. Gram

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, go Hawks! I hope this is just the beginning of the Blackhawks dynasty with a bunch of guys barely of drinking age getting the job done. Great win last night!

    Now on to the Big 12/Pac 10 superconference- the football world is changing by the minute. As of today, the hippies at Colorado have committed to the Pac 10. And when Texas joins they are going to bring some real footaball to Corvallis and the West Coast. It was getting old to beat up on Baylor anyway. Although, that is going to be a heck of a roadtrip for Bevo.

    Hook 'em from Texas!

    ReplyDelete