Friday, October 30, 2009

15 minutes at the (new and if anything worse) internet cafe and i thought idpump outr a quick post before going to my post tomorrow morning at 5:30.

First off a quick story... yesterday i caught word on the street that there was going to be a jazz concert in my little african village at one of the two bars in town. Something about italians building a road through town for a nonprofit and playing jazz on the side. I didnt believe it at first but decided i needed to investigate.

So i told my Togolese mama that i was off to listen to music (which involved me dancing and whistling as she does not actually speak french above salutations and basic instructions) and asked where my host brother was to see if he was going. She said she didnt know which was quite odd as everyone knows where everyone is at all times.

So i left and when i arrived at the bar i saw the generator driven lights flickering and a group of at least 300 people (including my brother missing brother) listening to an actual full piece jazz band.

I found my compatriots in the crowd and leaned over to one to ask for reassurance that this was in fact bizzare.

"dude, you missed the bagpipes at the begining of the show"

I turns out that the Frenchmen (not italians as i akwardly figured out while trying to speak in italian) do work solely in my training village and brought along a band a couple Brits with bagpipes.

The night capped off with me dancing to the drumming and singing which followed the group and finally returning home with my brother only to find my mother waiting outside my house on the road for us. And lest there be any doubt, the look of an angry mother whose son(s) come home too late is universal...

6 comments:

  1. I've been wondering if you've seen other organizations in Togo helping the people. That band must have been quite the sight! I can't wait to hear about your week in the new village.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the host mother not being too please when her "adopted son" came home after a night out. We mothers (and grandmothers) all think alike----but really I am glad you had fun. Gram

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! Love it! Don't make your Togolese mama too mad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm chuckling to myself thinking how I would like to see the "mama, I'm off to listen to some music" whistling dance! I think I have missed that one! :) The visual I am picturing makes me smile....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like to see that mother's are universal in their care for their kiddos. Good to see you having some "unusual" fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. quite the cross-cultural experience! an anthro case study for sure. glad to hear that you're finding fun in your new village. i'm enjoying reading your blog. good luck!

    ReplyDelete