Thursday, September 3, 2009

Two Weeks Togo...

My preparation is nearly complete:

For the elements:
-SPF 80 sun block: a
-100% Deet Insect Repellent: a

For general defense against unwanted creatures of the night:
-Leatherman Multi-Tool with 4 knives: a
-Double blade pocket knife: a
-$$$ for Machete upon arrival in Togo: a

For communication with the outside world:
-Shortwave radio: a
-Finding out what a shortwave radio even is: a
-Solar charger ready to soak up some equatorial rays in lieu of electricity: a
-Old Dell laptop that shall be sacrificed to the hands of African sand and dust:a

For sustenance:
-Vegetable seeds to go along with the agricultural/cropping skills I apparently have: a
-An appetite for various organs, domestic animals, pets, rats, snakes and other mystery sources of protein: a
-A stomach made strong from years of the indiscriminate eating of highly perishable items in a perish-prone fraternity setting: a

For my sanity/entertainment:
-Blues Harp harmonica to fit into my stereotypical idea of what one does while in a rural area without modern amenities. Think Les Stroud from Survivorman, or ranchers on the range (sans the campfires…and replace the chuck wagon and dutch oven cobbler with a propane stove and fufu): a
-And, of course, hacky sacks, a soccer ball, and a misplaced trust in my ball handling skills that will soon be put to the test against light-footed (and possibly barefooted, for that matter) Togolese youth: a

Feet don’t fail me now…

6 comments:

  1. Wubbie... I'm not seeing malaria pills, epi-pens or dad's credit card on your list. Is there a v2.0 ? c u in 2 wks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to following your adventures in Africa! See you before you leave. Gram

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you've thought of and researched everything. You didn't tell me that your adventure includes a machete! Can't wait to follow everything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. can't wait for some more updates, looks like its going to be a blast. Better make sure that none of them are Christiano Ronaldo fans first, shun those who are. Let me know what you are jonzin for over there and I'll put together a care package, hell I might just ship myself over and hang for a few weeks. Good Luck bra!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that your humility in your hacky-sack skills will be accepted well. Humility in general will probably help you make a lot of friends in your new country. Oh, and post a picture of your machete when you buy it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I truly feel like your truckin' like the do da man... so live it real and have a damn good time...If the cards fall I still plan on heading your way at some point. Keep us posted and enjoy the irreplaceable experience!
    -Honey Badger '1632'

    ReplyDelete